K1 Visa Process & Requirements

Updated on 11/10/2020

You have met the person you want to marry, and now you need to negotiate your way through the K-1 visa process to do it. You must take the necessary steps required of all couples.  Here we give you a general idea about what the K-1 visa process and requirements are which will help you fulfill your dreams as early as possible.

K-1 Visa Process

What Is the K-1 Visa Process?

The K-1 visa process is considered a non-immigrant visa that allows a foreign fiancé of a U.S. citizen to enter the country for 90 days to marry. It is filed by the United States-based intended spouse, who becomes the petitioner for the foreign fiancé now called the visa beneficiary.  If the couple does not marry within the 90-day time frame or the engagement is broken, the intended foreign spouse must leave the country. To begin the K-1 visa process, the foreign fiancé must meet several requirements.

K-1 Visa Requirements

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) strictly enforces the K-1 visa requirements. The basic requirements are listed below; however, each case is different and additional items may be needed:

  • Both future spouses must be legally free to marry. If a previous marriage existed for either person, documentation of a divorce or a prior spouse’s death must be available. This proof includes a death certificate or divorce documents.
  • Both same-sex marriages and traditional unions are covered under this visa. This holds true even if the foreign fiancé’s country of origin does not permit same-sex marriages.
  • One in-person meeting between the engaged individuals must have occurred within two years before the K-1 application. This requirement may be waived if they were unable to meet due to extraordinary circumstances.
  • The relationship’s legitimacy can be proven in a variety of ways. This proof can be a history of e-mails, photos, travel plans and/or documentation given by friends or family members. If trips are used to show the continuation of the relationship over time, it is important to be able to produce entry/departure stamps on the passport and travel tickets to and from the U.S. or a foreign country.
  • The fiancé who lives in the United States must be a U.S. citizen. If they use a green card to live in the United States, they will not be able to sponsor a K-1 visa holder.
  • The sponsoring U.S. citizen needs to sign an I-134 affidavit of support to show that he or she has financial means equal to the U.S. federal poverty guidelines and meanwhile is responsible for the financial support of the foreign fiancé.
  • It is important that the upcoming marriage happens within the 90-day period. This period begins on the day of entry into the United States. Proof of plans for the wedding often consist of a travel itinerary, a caterer or other wedding expenses.

Visit DYgreencard to free check eligibility to see whether you are eligible for K-1 visa. No personal information is required at all.   

How to Start the K-1 Visa Process?

The first step to start the K-1 visa process is to file an I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) with USCIS. Generally, USCIS will require 60 days before form I-129F is approved. Sometimes, processing time may require six to nine months. Delays may occur when the USCIS requires additional documentation or information.

All parts of the I-129F form must be completed, and it must be signed. The I-129F petition cannot be completed online. Instead, it is necessary to print it out and send it and other required documentation to the designated USCIS location by mail.

Once the I-129F form is approved, the USCIS will send a notice of approval. Then the foreign applicant can start the nonimmigrant visa application process to apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa, which can be done online. When this is completed, the applicant will be notified of an upcoming interview at the closest U.S. embassy or consulate in his or her home country or the country where he or she has permanent residency. It can take about four to six weeks to be completed.

Once the K-1nonimmigrant visa is granted by the U.S. consulate or embassy, the foreign applicant has four months to come to the United States.

Documents That Accompany the I-129F Petition

The following are documents that must be sent in along with the I-129F petition:

  • Proof of citizenship: This can take the form of a birth certificate, copy of naturalization certificate, Form FS-240, which is a consular report of birth abroad(CRBA), a copy of an unexpired U.S. passport or a statement issued by a U.S. consular officer that affirms the applicant is a U.S. citizen with a passport.
  • Proof that prior marriages were legally terminated: This must be attached and can include a death certificate, a divorce decree or an annulment.
  • Photographs: A photograph of both partners must be provided. It should be a standard, U.S. passport-sized color photograph taken no more than 30 days before applying.
  • Proof of name change: The applicant should provide a proof of name change with the application if this applies.
  • Evidence of meeting fiancé(e) in person within the last two years or evidence to prove they were unable to meet due to extraordinary circumstances.
  • Evidence of bona fide intent to marry within 90 Days of arrival: Letter of Intent of both of them should be sufficient.

Additional documentation might be needed if either of them has any criminal record or other unusual situations.

If any of the documentation papers are in a foreign language, an English translation must also be submitted. The translation should be accompanied by a certification from the translator that it is accurate and complete. The translator must also certify that they are competent to provide this translation.

With DYgreencard, we will help you prepare a complete I-129F petition fully reviewed by a skilled immigration attorney. All you need to do is just answer a few questions and upload basic documents on our online platform. Then we take care of the rest. Learn more, or get started today.

After Entry to the U.S. with K-1 visa and Marriage Occurs

After entry to the U.S. with the K-1 visa and the marriage occurs, the K-1 visa holder needs to apply for a green card through I-485 adjustment of status application. You may learn more about it in our article Adjust Status after Entry on K1 Visa.

Cost of a K-1 Fiancé Visa to Green Card

The cost of the K-1 visa to green card as of late in 2020 is a total fee of $2,025. The breakdown is as follows:

  • Form I-129F: This is filed with the USCIS and costs $535.
  • Application for K-1 Visa: This fee is paid to the consulate and is $265.
  • Form I-485: This is referred to as the adjustment of status application for green card after marriage happens upon entry with a K-1 visa. It should be filed with USCIS. This also includes the biometrics fee and costs $1,225.

If you decide to hire a lawyer to help to handle the whole K-1 visa process, the attorney will charge from $1200 to $2000. At DYgreencard, you will get expertise of immigration lawyer at a much lower price. Learn more, or get started today!

Related Topics:

DYgreencard — for people who want the expertise of immigration lawyer, with a lower price.

(Copyright by DYgreencard.com. To copy or distribute any of its content must be marked with the sentence “copied or distributed from DYgreencard.com”.)